Sunday, January 03, 2010

New Year, new...

skill? Hobby? Insanity driving activity?I received a sewing machine from my mom for my birthday last month. I haven't used a sewing machine since home ec one year in high school (not necessarily with an enormous amount of success at that time let me add) but thought it might be a good idea to have one. I'm tall and most of my pants benefit from re-hemming so that I don't sport a less than stylish puddle jumping ankle length, if for nothing else.Here's the problem... (not withstanding the fact that apparently I can not cut or sew in a straight line) I like fabric... no, I REALLY like fabric... I spent an hour in the fabric store selecting (expensive) beautiful designs to make a couple of cute little projects. Now don't start thinking that I'm going to start making clothing (although I threatened the hubster that if he makes one more crack about how me having a sewing machine is the beginning of the end I will start making him shirts...to wear to work...with prints...) but I did discover that Amy Butler's website has a bunch of adorable, free patterns. So I embarked on sewing up some business card holders! The fuchsia holder has the most adorable polkadotted lining. Although everything seems to turn out slightly crooked, I'm really happy with the end results. I need to be patient for an accent bead in the kiln to cool so I can finish off the fuchsia card holder but my Robin's Egg glaze was a perfect match for the terracotta and teal fabric.

So my dilemma is how I can stay away from buying more fabric, especially since I don't have anything else I need to sew right now! There were some lovely throw pillow patterns though...

14 comments:

  1. You remind me of me, just with scrapbooking!! lol. I just love patterned paper :) Those turned out great btw, I can't sew so it seems too much of a challenge for me ;)

    Happy New Year!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie- I'm in trouble...I love patterned paper too! (just got a couple of packages, not sure what I thought I'd do with it!)

    At least I just hoard it, I don't scrapbook so it's one less activity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i went crazy in the fabric store too - and you see how tiny the pieces of fabric are that i use! i am dying to get to a full-sized machine... but, mellisa, could i buy a card holder from you? and maybe think of another project as well? really~

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really awesome Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fabrics too, and will buy a yard or two for the "somedays". I really do not like to sew and can do enough to get by.
    I love your little card holders and how wonderful your bead looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Mellisa - I have a bad fabric habit(a cupboard full...!) that precedes my bad bead habit,and I love Amy Butler patterns (and her fabric too). Love your card holders - so sweet - could be a new line for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at fabric too, but don't yet have a collection! Nor do I have a sewing machine! I keep wondering what I'm going to do when my mom can't sew anymore!!! I guess I should try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mellisa, these are so adorable and I love your fabric choices! I have my grandmother's sewing machine, which needs to be serviced, but I used to use it all the time at her house when I was younger. I love looking at fabric too, and scrapbook paper. It's sad that I don't have a reason to use either, but the patterns are inspirational nonetheless! Have fun with your new hobby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely gift and your results are good. Love the fabric. I too can spend hours in a good fabrics store. Not to mention the empty pocket book at the end of a trip. Happy sewing. I'm looking forward to your seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear ya! I am a paper-holic. I have more scrapbooking stuff than the section at Michaels. And not one scrapbook to show for it. I love paper and ephemera and rub ons... Luckily it comes in handy for when the kids have school projects (my kids have the most kick ass school projects ever!) If you keep the pieces small, does it still count? I love what you are doing. Such great color inspiration. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fabric too, but I have a tote full and don't really sew. Now I just look when I go to the quilting shop. Love the Amy Butler patterns and fabrics! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! Fortunately the pattern is a free, for personal use only design so I don't have the option of making them for sale (thank goodness or I might start fussing about trying to make them perfect!). I'm not sure that I actually "like" sewing but I definitely get quite proud of myself when I complete something!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man. You're in big trouble now! My first love was sewing. Have you never heard of the slogan, "The one who dies with the most fabric wins!" There is just something so engaging about fabric ... the colors, the drape, their potential ... it's easily as addictive as clay. You better start making room! Great job on the business card cases, btw. Love the Amy Butler fabrics you selected!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can completly understand how fabrics would be addictive...I love looking at them too and I don't even sew! I'm that way about lot of different craft supplies that I don't even use! Your business card holders turned out great...I'm looking forward to seeing your next creations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to chat! I love comments and if you have your email enabled in your blogger profile, I would love to be able to keep the conversation going.