Thursday, December 13, 2012

Random Running Related Ruminations...

Where is time going?  I can't believe we're already creeping up on Christmas (which means my birthday week is almost here too!) and I feel woefully unprepared.  Add on top of that the looming deadline of Tucson and a bit of an emergency trip to see family scheduled for right after Christmas and I'm feeling like a frazzled Fraggle (anyone else remember Fraggle Rock??).

If only I could run and glaze simultaneously my problems would be solved...you see I've signed up to run a half marathon in January...what was I thinking??  First, I am NOT a runner by nature...I hate/love it though...I'm miserable the first mile or two, feel ok for a mile or two, then feel exhausted for the remaining miles until I get home and my face returns to it's usual color (as opposed to beet red...which incidentally happens at other non-running random times since I'm an uncontrolled blusher).  Then I spend an agonizing 30 minutes or so using a foam roller (don't let the cushy word "foam" trick you...it's more like a rock hard piece of styrofoam) to bust up the knots in my legs.  Once all that's done I'm glad I did it.  However, the love part (even though I can't glaze and run) is that it is the ONLY and I really do mean ONLY time that my brain shuts off...I truly can't think and run...apparently I'm just focused on sustaining life and not falling on my face (did I mention I run like a Heffalump? more on that later) so tonight it let me avoid thinking about a particularly crummy conversation with a colleague that happened earlier in the day that basically involved me being told that my suggestions (the ones that are in my area of expertise and that I'm supposed to be providing as the main component of my job) were neither welcomed nor would be acted upon.  The only word I have to describe it is disheartened... By the end of my run I was too tired to feel anything other than pooped!

Tonight I wore calf compression sleeves (glorified leg warmers), full pants, a long sleeved top that zipped up the neck, gloves and a fleece ear band.  Yes, I live in Southern California...yes, I'm a transplanted Canadian...I'm not proud (and I'm highly concerned about my upcoming trip to the frosty North).

I mentally cursed the guy who ran past me in the opposite direction bounding along at twice my speed wearing shorts and a t-shirt covering more ground in one step than I do in four...see earlier comment regarding Heffalumpness...I'm not petite (5'10" to be precise with big clunky size 10 feet) and I still recall high school when someone made a comment about my tendency toward limp floppy wrists when I ran...let me tell you that I'm particularly aware of not flapping when I run now (although of course the only photo of me in a 5k was with floppy looking wrists).

My hands got too hot by mile two so I shoved my gloves in the back of my pants...ran the rest of the way home looking like the hunchbooty of Notre Dame...

All right, if you made this far I think you deserve to see some bead pics!  I finally managed to get some fun little poppies in my last firing...


And since I'm freezing my tush off, snowflakes seemed appropriate...


And it's been a while since I've made stars so a few of those made it in too...


I have a bunch of new shapes and patterns and old shapes that I haven't made in ages bisqued and just waiting for me to get them glazed so I have a busy weekend ahead!  Maybe I can even get myself coordinated enough to get another blog post up before Monday...a girl can dream...

In the meantime, cross your fingers for my attempt at something more than 8 miles this weekend...ouch!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember Fraggle Rock and feel very fraggled right now. I'm so far behind on everything and wondering if I'll have to pull out the checkbook to write checks for those whose gifts I wasn't able to buy on time. I've been sick (nice timing) plus all the committments I made (why do I keep doing that?), and trying to make my sales go up, plus everything a part-time working part time stay at home mom has to do.

    I've never been a runner, but somehow my youngest turned out to be a really good runner (must have gotten it from her two aunts). I admire you for sticking with something that you have a love/hate relationship with. And by the way, my daughter's coach would rather see limp hands than stiff ones.

    I'm an uncontrolled blusher too, something that makes me really angry, and I just want to hide under a rock when it happens. People seem to love to point it out when I go into a full blush, which I think is rude. I just want to say 'Yes, I know I'm blushing--I can feel my face getting hotter and don't need you to tell me! By the way, you've got really bad breath.'

    Best of luck with your marathon and all you have to accomplish! I hope your Christmas is merry and bright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Alice! I'm sorry you're also "fraggled" right now...sometimes I think 'tis the season for it :) I scaled way back on holiday commitments (internally and externally imposed) this year and that's been a good thing but I imagine if I were sick it would all go out the window!

      Arrrgghh!! People who point out that I'm blushing immediately go on my list of people who I would like to see fall flat on their faces in front of a crowd. I do actually say to people "Thank you for pointing out something I'm completely aware of and have no control over". I like your comment about letting them know about their bad breath too ;)

      I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you are able to say what you feel to those who point out your red face. Maybe someday I will get to that point.

      I forgot to add that I love your poppies, snowflakes and stars. They're beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Great Blog Post. Sounds to me like you have everything under control. Have a lovely Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm hoping there will be cake :)

      Delete
  3. I wish you all the best in your running! I am not a runner (I was always top heavy from the time I was in 6th grade). Needless to say the boys thought it great...
    So I don't run, and I do turn this tomato red shade whenever I excert myself...wait till you go into menopause, its a trip too. Oh the joys of being a woman!

    Love the new things you have, especially the snowflakes. We haven't gotten snow to speak about here in Michigan, I hope before Christmas it happens. Have yourself a Merry Christmas, try and keep from frazzling out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosanne! I must say that I'm also not petite on the top, I bought a couple of these: http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Fiona-Black/dp/B001AP5HKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355545847&sr=8-1&keywords=fiona+bra
      and they are AMAZING!! No bounce :) You definitely have me concerned with the implications of menopause...I have a while before I need to worry about that but if I'm this tomato red now...what will happen then?!

      Must get those snowflakes listed, I've been such a listing lazy pants!

      Delete
  4. I read your post while giggling loudly at my computer - alone! I am not a runner either, though I walk (and it is just a fast walk - not even a jog) on a treadmill every day -- can you say BORING? I hope you made your 8 miles over the weekend (I am so late in catching up on blog posts)! I admire your dedication! Sorry you had a "run in" with a colleague....that stinks! Your beads are gorgeous - as always! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Patti! I’m glad I was able to give you a chuckle, you made my day by saying that :) I hope you’re hooked up to an iPod or watching tv or something on that treadmill, even those wouldn’t keep me moving indoors…I need to consequences of being 3 miles from home and having to go back the way I came!

      I’m supposed to be heading out for another run right now…didn’t make it past 8 on the weekend unfortunately, the hubby gave me a limit that he’d only do 5 miles and I didn’t want to run alone in the dark! He promises me 10 miles on Christmas morning so I will go out for 8 on Saturday whether I’m alone or it’s raining providing the world hasn’t ended as predicted.

      Hope your Christmas is wonderful as well!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by to chat! I love comments and if you have your email enabled in your blogger profile, I would love to be able to keep the conversation going.