Saturday, December 22, 2012

Older...

Yes, I am.  Older that is, at least in comparison to last week...I had a lovely week of birthday with little gifts from the hubster each day leading up to Thursday. 

To top it all off, I saw this wonderful fold up table project from the Bubblewrapp'd blog that had been pinned (of course, where else?!) and I put in a request with my friend's dad who is a woodworker extraordinaire.  He started work on it weeks ago then they packed it in the trunk of their car for their trip here.  He put the finishing touches on it and came over while I was at work on Thursday to install it for me...just in time for a birthday reveal!

Here it is all closed up...mine is a bit deeper than the one from the Bubblewrapp'd plans, we made some tweaks to the measurements.  I may put a photo in the center of the cabinet since it looks so much like a frame.


My table is also about a foot or so longer than the original plans.  I wanted a bit more work space than the square would allow.  He also put a couple of handy little wooden arms to lock the legs in place even though we weren't really concerned about the table stability since it's on carpet.  All of the shelves are adjustable as well so I can move things to fit in sewing supplies or whatever I decide to cram in there!


Right now it's open and holding the beads that just came out of a quick firing of the little kiln this week in order to get a couple of special requests made in time for the holidays.  I really like that we decided to make the table counter height as I was standing at it to wrap gifts on Friday and it was perfect.  I also have a stool that is nice and tall and will work well to sit at the table when I'm sewing.  The best thing about it is how it folds right up and leaves space for us to squish our Aero bed in the room for guests.

The challenge will be keeping the table top clean enough that I can have it folded up most of the time!

Want one for yourself?  The plans are over at Bubblewrapp'd!  Last I saw they are even able to build one for you and ship it, but if you have a handy spouse or neighbor (or are better than me with a saw!) you could absolutely make one yourself.

Next post I'll share some of the goodies that came out of the kiln this week!

9 comments:

  1. That's a fabulous idea! I've been trying to figure out how to use my son's bedroom for both a guest room and my studio since he is away at college. This might do the trick though I'm used to beading at a much longer table.

    Happy Belated Birthday to you, and a Very Merry Christmas to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant way to use space. I make handmade jewellery and have a small studio but sometimes would like to work at home and this would be the perfect solution to working in the spare bedroom. I would be able to hide all my beads and jewellery making materials away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is an awesome space saver, I just love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea that is great, its a perfect idea for people that have very limited space and for a way to be able to use the space in multiple ways like you said to have room for a bed. I'm with you though, I'd never be able to fold the sucker up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredibly cool. I want one. Where does one order one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kole,
      If you click on the link in the post to the Bubblewrap'd blog, they have them available to order. There are also all the instructions you need to make one yourself if you or someone you know is handy!

      Delete
  6. May I know the measurements you used here? I think this sized table is more suitable for my needs than the ones from the Bubblewrapp'd blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yoly,
      We made it about 3 ft x 2 ft. I love it, just enough space to spread things out on!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by to chat! I love comments and if you have your email enabled in your blogger profile, I would love to be able to keep the conversation going.